Tuesday, September 13, 2011

50 in the 50's



Yeah, that's right. I am all over the place lately. Not all that much has happened lately. I am continuing to get things organized, but had lots of other stuff going on that put me a bit behind. This week I am preparing as best I can for my big project/experiment. As you may have guessed from the title I am going to attempt to live 50 days in the 50's lifestyle with a few minor exceptions. I thought this would be something different, but as I plan I find many people have already had this idea! I find that very interesting. I still will attempt this as I want to experience this for myself. Feel free to vicariously live through me and read about my adventures for the next 50 days!

My disclaimers: I am not suggesting this is for everyone, only that is something I would like to attempt and compare results on. I am not saying it will be ridiculous or that it will be wonderful (my best guess would be that it will fall somewhere in the middle.) If you find this offensive remember you do not have to read it. : )

My other disclaimer is that I will be attempting to do this the best that I can. I was not alive in the 1950's nor do I have a time machine. I will collect my information from various sources to try to get the overall best impressions of what is accurate. Anyone with additional ideas/information is welcome to comment at anytime. Some sources may be more accurate than others and I will honestly attempt to do the best I can. Can you imagine 60 years from now people trying to depict our daily life with issues of Cosmo and episodes of Jersey Shore as inspiration? (Gag!)

How this will be conducted:
This will begin on Sunday and last for 50 days. For these 50 days I will attempt to be the perfect mother/housewife of the 1950's. I will apply all information as much as possible. If I have to make exceptions I will note them.

How this will be posted on my blog:
The internet was not commonplace until the mid-ninties or so, however I will use some time to update my blog. I will try to post daily or at the least a few times per week. During the week I may post on a small portion of my day or on some aspect of the fifties. Once a week I will give an overall report on how things are going. I will also create a mini report on some various different factors to compare from week to week. I will try to have this report include some measurable things and some emotional/mental things. At the end I will post my overall impressions, what I learned, and what was the best/worst.

Things that will differ: As I will not be actual in the 50's some things might not be 100% accurate and I will note the exceptions as much as possible.

There you have it. Looking forward to getting started. : )

P.S. What the heck is the picture at the top of this post? I recently acquired this pair of birds. I haven't decided what I will do with them yet. I have tried to find out when these are from/where they came from, but I can't find a thing! Does anyone know anything about these? I see no markings with brand, date, etc. The bodies are cream with brown flecks and appear to be made of some type of  stoneware/ceramic material. The head and feet are made of metal which I think was painted to look like brass, but I don't think is actual brass. They do have a bit of weight to them. Anyone? I would be very grateful to anyone who can offer any information!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your '50's project! Sounds interesting. No ideas about the birds but they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete