Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Day 2: My Own Kind of Hell

Good morning, everyone! Today I will be a little more brief as to not throw off my schedule. Day 1 found me up at 6:30 and in bed well after midnight. Day 2 I had to be up bright and early (7 am) to see my oldest daughter off to school. Everything went okay. I made a delicious breakfast of french toast with raspberries on top.

Downside was she didn't have time to finish eating it. In my defense she is quite chatty and the bus was a little early, but still. I was so very tired I had dizzy spells all morning while I tried to keep up with my schedule. For my 'deep clean' task of the day I chose baking and laundry. I didn't really get any more laundry done than I have been, due to waiting for the machine to finish, and never got to ironing. I did bake two loaves of bread. I haven't made bread in awhile and I forgot how dang long it takes to make! It wasn't even close to being done at lunchtime and we had no other bread in the house. I had to scramble to get a lunch together and use the old 'use it up and replace with 50's item' crutch and make a couple boxes of Suddenly Salad.

Fresh bread!

In tune to the use it up theme I realized there were no disposable diapers in the 1950's. I decided to cheat with my 3 year old daughter and have her start wearing underwear during the day and save my last disposable diapers for night time so I wouldn't be woken up in the night because someone wet the bed, etc. I didn't think it would be a big deal. We had started potty training her quite a while back, but when our son was born she started that whole nasty regression - I want to be the baby- thing. Let's just say it involved some large puddles day 2 that I did not appreciate.
My husband tried to be helpful and take all the kids when our oldest had dance class in the evening. I am not going to lie - as soon as they were gone I had changed into some comfy p.j.'s and was watching a little Happy Days. Of course I was also folding laundry.
Then came time to get dinner ready. I was making a chicken recipe. I thought I already had a whole bunch of chicken broth so I hadn't bought any. Apparently it was beef broth. I scrambled through the cabinets hoping for some chicken bouillon - and I found it. Unfortunately it expired in 2008 so I went with the beef broth. Dinner wasn't quite ready when they got home and there was piles of folded laundry in the living room. Boy, did I feel like a loser! Everyone loved dinner however - chicken with gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots and homemade bread with a berry pie for dessert. At least I had that going for me. Then came the really bad part.
DISHES. Oh, how I hate dishes. These 50's housewives must have spent half their damn day doing dishes. Even with trying to keep up with them during the day they were everywhere. I swear they were breeding and multiplying! I remember growing up we didn't have a dishwasher until the early nineties and I really don't know how we managed. Then the bitterness came. I was up before everyone and here I was, back killing me, literally making my eyes water, washing all these dishes, while everyone else was cozy in bed. Not nice. I did almost all of the dishes, skipped making lunches, setting the table for breakfast and cocktails, and collapsed in a heap on the bed about 11:30. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment